Thursday, June 10, 2010

Bronson's Journey From the Womb

We went in to be induced at 6 a.m. I was already having contractions, but they were spaced apart sporadically and I was 3 centimeters and 30 % effaced. They did lots of paper work and started fluids.  Finally, around 8 a.m. they started the Pitocin. My contractions picked up immediately. They started coming at a decent intensity about a minute and a half apart.  Within 30 minutes I had dilated to 4 centimeters and was 75% effaced. My doctor came in and broke my waters. I tried to sit upright as much as possible because I wanted gravity to help things along. Bronson kept wiggling around which made my plans impossible, I was rolling all over that bed so they could keep the monitor on him. When I got to 6 centimeters the contractions were pretty bad so I asked for an epidural. When the anesthesiologist placed the epidural I felt a zinging feeling in my left hip, he adjusted it and the feeling went away. However, when the next few contractions came I was completely numb on my left side but felt everything on the right side. We tried different positions to see if that helped, it didn't.  I had a button to push for more meds, I pushed it. The only thing that accomplished was my left leg feeling like dead weight, I couldn't even lift it. The anesthesiologist  came back in and gave me more meds and finally I was pain free. I sat up and the next thing I knew another nurse was rushing in the room.  They couldn't find Bronson's heartbeat. All this time Fernando was asleep on the couch in the delivery room.  The nurse laid me back and rolled me to my left side, still nothing.  They checked my pulse against the monitors to see if they were picking it up, no Bronson, just me.  I overheard prolapsed cord and started crying.  I was scared, petrified. I woke Fernando up and the poor guy looked like a deer in the head lights. I was surrounded by nurses and a med student, he couldn't get to me. They put me on oxygen, stopped the Pitocin and put an internal monitor on Bronson. The laid me back with me feet higher than my head and finally they got a heart beat.  Then it was variable. They called they doctor and he came in within minutes to check me and Bronson.  Now my blood pressure was dropping. I had to get epinephrine to raise it and my doctor stayed and monitored me for a while and things finally calmed down. I haven't felt that scared in a very long time. They started the meds back up and within an hour it was go time. I pushed a total of five times. They stopped me from pushing, Bronson was crowning and had his cord wrapped all around him. The doctor couldn't even lift him up for me to see.  I leaned forward and saw the doctor unwrapping the cord and my sweet boy wiggling around.  His hands and feet were purple, his face was dark. Fernando cut the cord. They cleaned him up and he started to cry.  It was the sweetest little cry ever. I was crying, the take charge nurse hugged me. I looked over at my husband who had tears in his eyes but was trying to hide it.  We both felt such relief. He told me what a good job I did and how proud he was of me. He told me he had been so scared because there wasn't anything he could do to fix it. He had no control. It was sweet. When I saw him trying not to cry while holding Bronson's little hand my heart filled with love for that man.  It was over. No more worries, he is out and safe and perfect.  He is nursing well, sleeping well, and the girls adore him already.  Talise was holding him and told him that even though she's only known him a couple of hours she is in love with him already. Mylie said he was her baby, he's so cute, and she loves him so much. She's been kissing him like crazy. I am trying to let him sleep in him bassinet so he will sleep in it at home, but it is so hard to do. He's just so darn cute to me. He looks a lot like Talise did when she was born. I cannot believe I have a son. My sweet little fella.