Thursday, August 23, 2012

SNAPPED...err, almost

Today I had a doctor's appointment. I had two options when scheduling. Option one was to bring all three kids at the end of the day, having to check two out of school early. Option two was going first thing in the morning with Bronson only. I foolishly chose option two. My reasoning was that he's my sweet boy, and surely one toddler is better than two toddlers and a pre-teen.  I was so very wrong. He woke up screaming like a nut because he had a poopy diaper. We got him changed, yet he continued on his screaming rampage. He went non-stop for about an hour. Both my girls were offering up toys, food, chocolate milk, blankets, anything they could think of to quiet him down. I nearly lost it! All I could think about was being trapped in a tiny exam room with him behaving like this. Finally, Mylie gave him a pop tart and he smiled and got quiet. Peace! He happily ate a blueberry pop tart while we got ready to take Mylie to school. He was quiet in the car, only speaking when I went through a drive thru for a drink and french toast sticks and milk for him. I gave him his food, he ate it and fell asleep. I felt a glimmer of hope. He usually sleeps well in his stroller. When we arrived at my appointment I carefully, and quietly placed him in his stroller, being sure to bring his milk cup and blanket. He slept. While checking in the receptionist spoke. Bronson glanced up looking extremely ornery. She smiled and said good morning to him. That was all it took. He took terrible two's to a whole new level. Screaming, growling, thrashing around. Thankfully they took me back rather quickly and I was the only one in the waiting room. The nurse brought him a sticker and a Lolly pop to try to help me out with him. He took it, yet continued on with his fit from hell. Finally he threw the Lolly on the floor. When I retrieved it and tossed it in the trash he took his game up a notch. Banging his head back onto the chair, screaming like I was beating him, arching his back and bouncing the stroller. I just sat there, staring at him in horror. I was on the verge of tears when one of the nurses asked if she could let him go walk around the office with her. That is not at all something I would normally do, but as I sat there, fighting tears, envisioning smacking the tar outta his bottom, I agreed. All I could think was, thank God for this nurse! I can totally see how some people snap. He is my sweet boy. He is the one that I USED to be able to take anywhere. We'd go out to eat and he'd happily sit and wait on his food, gibbering baby talk. He has recently lost his darn mind! He was quiet with the nurses and I was ever so grateful. Once my exam was complete, I opened the door to see him laying on his tummy on the floor (cringe) happily coloring, holding two lolly pops and two stickers. They gave him the crayons and coloring book to take home with him, as I still had to go to the lab when I left. I cannot tell you how much that meant to me. No way will I be bringing him back. From here on out either Bryan will have to take off of work, or I'll have to re-schedule. I am mentally exhausted and extremely embarrassed. I will be rewarding those nurses with replacement crayons and coloring books and some sort of treat for them for helping me.  As I type this I have my sweet son back. He is smiling with his handsome face and adorable dimples. One would never know the hell he just put me through!

No comments:

Post a Comment